Friday, April 26, 2013

THE Essay

Well, because this essay is similar to many of the rantings previously seen on Life With Lis  and because Gram has been so dedicated in motivating me to get it done, I give you:


The Myth of the “Caucasian”: When the Stereotype-er Becomes the Stereotype-ee
by Alyssa Roberts

Any required school questionnaires or doctor’s office forms given to me are met with excitement on my part. Call me a nerd, but I would credit twelve years in the public school system with the un-called for excitement that usually results from being handed any form of an “easy” worksheet. Despite this initial giddiness, however, there is one section of these forms that I just cannot figure out, as this section asks for a description of one’s race, usually accompanied by several options and boxes to be checked. Attempts at political correctness, or at least not offending as many people as possible while asking at what point in history their grandparents were discriminated against, make this section comical, to say the least. Options include African American/Black, Asian American, American Indian/Native American, and, my personal favorite, White/Caucasian. I know I will not be the first of my race to ask, thoughtfully, if not a bit disturbed at the fact that I don’t understand a term apparently concerning my own heritage, “What the heck is ‘Caucasian’?”

Well, my fellow white citizens of the world, I am here to tell you that I have finally discovered the answer. Put simply, to be Caucasian means to be a member of no race or ethnic group. That’s right, go ahead and pick up whatever object you just dropped in shock and despair- iPhone, coffee mug, laptop, whatever it may be- and allow me to explain. According to the great and powerful English dictionary, to be Caucasian means to be a member or descendent of “one of the traditional divisions of humankind” hailing from Europe, western Asia, and parts of India and North Africa. In effect, a Caucasian is thence a member of almost any race and ethnicity covered in such a broad scope of terrain. Essentially, Caucasians cannot be a member of one, so must be a partial member of all ethnicities, and therefore are members of none. Despite the obvious attempts of doctor’s offices and marketing companies to include whites in the sense of ethnic pride and unity shared by most groups, the title of Caucasian only serves to confuse and further divide whites into their own form of ethnic nonexistence, thereby forcing them to remain one homogeneous, culture-less culture, unless you count the culture of the racist bigot, which, these days, most people seem not to count.

            Some would say that it is our fault, an opinion I can agree with to a certain extent. Were my forefathers slave-owning plantation managers in Virginia until the 1860’s? No. My forefathers hail from Sweden, and, as the story goes, immigrated to America on a whim one day with nothing more than the equivalent of ten cents in their combined pockets. So, I submit that they were not at any point in time slave owners. Why, then, am I blamed for the crime of the white race? It seems that the tables have finally turned. Our social system has finally come full-circle, to the point where whites, always the veritable “top dog” of society, the controlling majority, have become the minority. Believe me you, I have no illusions about the true state of economic affairs, but from a purely social perspective, it is worth noting that the position of whites in society has changed, and changed considerably, along with the changing definition of racism.

            Traditional racism is nothing like the tentative, somewhat mocking understanding of other cultures that we see in society today. The story of traditional racism is well known and, admittedly, still a problem for many. Of course, I do not deny the crimes of organizations like the KKK or refute the nobility of the struggle of the American Civil Rights Movement. I rejoice in the changing system of racism today, but likewise feel the need to explain it more thoroughly. Currently, racism does not mean discrimination or prejudice against another race or ethnic group. Yes, that is what the dictionary says, and that is what history says, but no more. Today racism is a term casually flung back and forth between friends at any mention of a person’s ethnicity having a negative or positive connotation. For example:
Student A: “I got an A on my trig final!”
Student B: “That’s because you’re Asian.”
Student C: (to Student B): “That’s racist!”

            Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this changing definition, at least for me, as a humble Caucasian, is that whites, to an extent, are not allowed to take part in it. Not that I have any desire to be considered a racist, or even a fake racist, by my peers (who, despite the extensive coverage of the American Civil Rights movement in every history-related class they have ever taken since the beginning of our education, seem not to realize what a true racist is), but it would be nice to not be accused of racism any time one mentions anything about race or ethnicity ever. One day, while struggling to pay attention during Pre-Calculus, I was confronted by two (rather obnoxious) students who sit behind me. Unfortunately, I am unable to recall how the conversation began, but it ended with an exchange that has left me thoroughly perplexed.
Black student: (to Irish student) Oh, you’re Irish? What, so you guys eat a lot of potatoes or something?”
Irish student: “Yeah just like all you’ve got to eat is cotton.”
Bystanders: “OHHHHHHH!”
                    “Racist! That is so racist!”
                     “What the %@** is wrong with you, you *@%%#?”
Et cetera, Et cetera. While acknowledging that both comments are pretty messed up, one aspect of this conversation is perhaps more convoluted than what was actually said, and this is that only the Irish student is being called racist. Assuming that the Irish student, by their mention of cotton, was referring to the centuries of slavery suffered by (some, but not all) black citizens of the U.S., it is easy to see why the reaction was so pronounced. However, the Irish student, whose heritage, as it happens, is only known because this individual makes a point of mentioning it wherever possible, unlike most “Caucasians,” is likewise mocked concerning the Potato Famine, a time of serious horror and strife resulting in the deaths of millions of this individual’s ancestral countrymen. Yet, only the Irish student is accused of mocking the black student’s race.

            This example, and, believe me you, the many others I have encountered during my career as a public school student, is characteristic of the new definition of racism. The societal implications of this phenomenon, because of its newness, are yet unknown, but can be seen in their developmental stages. In a setting where any mention of ethnic heritage is considered racism, especially those mentions by a white (excuse me, Caucasian) person, racism may simply become an insult, a way of mocking one’s peers similar to “stupidhead” and other terms not worthy of mention in an academic article. The outcome I see, from the historically-endorsed “Caucasian” perspective, is that members of my ethnicity will become even more entrenched in the ever-present stereotype of the racist bigot that is truly our heritage. Leave it to the cynicism of modern society to rule out any other significant achievements and never let go the mistakes of a non-representative minority throughout the years.

            This stereotype, founded or un-founded, is the only heritage I am allowed, the only culture I can belong to. I, along with my “white brothers” am forced to remain homogeneous in society that is consistently moving toward the apex of heterogeneity. If I were Black, I might be allowed some pride in my heritage. If I were Asian, I might be allowed to make the distinction between “Caucasian” and English-Swedish. As it is, such a distinction is nowhere near as interesting as Filipino-Chinese, because the Americans didn’t attack the Swedish in their homeland and use it as a military base during any of the world wars. C’este la vie. As it is, I have thoroughly expended the socially acceptable time limit of discussions of race and must therefore retreat to my corner of the racial spectrum, forever to be stereotyped as the stereotype-er, forever a figurative enemy to the stereotype-ee.  

(c) Alyssa Roberts, 2013. Please do not plagiarize. Thanks. 

No comments: