Saturday, October 13, 2012

The End to the Marathon

Okay, I've decided not to put you all through eight posts of Miyazaki movie reviews. Instead, i've combined them all into one! You can thank me later... Also, I organized them in the order that I like them. So there.

1. Howl's Moving Castle (2004)


  I LOVE this movie!!! By far my favorite Miyazaki. The story is lovely; it's like a fairy tale but it has enough action and adventure to keep Abby interested, too. I'd recommend for older kids, 8+.
Rated: PG
IMDb Rating: 8.1/10
My Rating: 9/10
Abby's Rating: 7/10... (She loves this movie; that one totally surprised me)

Summary, courtesy of IMDb: When an unconfident young woman is cursed with an old body by a spiteful witch, her only chance of breaking the spell lies with a self-indulgent yet insecure young wizard and his companions in his legged, walking home.




2. Spirited Away (2001)
The one that started it all... this movie, plot-wise, is probably the best of Miyazaki's movies in that it is the most satisfying and engaging. I crave this movie like I crave... well, not chocolate, but apple pie or something. Translation: seasonally, and completely randomly. Sydnee and Sophie liked this one, although I think the parents-to-pigs part traumatized them just a teeny bit. Recommended for 8+
Rated: PG
IMDb Rating: 8.6/10
My Rating: 9.8/10
Abby's Rating:
IMDb Summary: In the middle of her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and monsters; where humans are changed into animals; and a bathhouse for these creatures.
Fun Fact: The girl who voices Chihiro, Daveigh Chase, is also the voice of Lilo from Lilo and Stitch AND she plays the creepy girl in The Ring. (ahhh!) Craziness!

3. Castle in the Sky (1986)



This is also a great sampling of Miyazaki's work. It's a bit more adventurous than the last two, and the characters are so loveable! It's a great family movie. Ages 6+
IMDb Rating: 8.1/10
My Rating: 7.5/10
Abby's Rating: 5/10

IMDb Summary: A young boy and a girl with a magic crystal must race against pirates and foreign agents in a search for a legendary floating castle.






4: My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
This was one of the movies I was most excited about, since it is probably the most iconic Miyazaki movie of them all. I was not at all disappointed with it, although compared with the others it seems really short. But that makes it better for kids! It lost Sophie's attention halfway through, but Sydnee loved it. I still hear them singing the theme music fro, time to time. Ages 4+
Rated: G
IMDb Rating: 8.2/10
My Rating: 7.5/10
Abby's Rating: She doesn't get to rate it because she just sat and played her iPod the whole time- more rant on that little habit pending. 

IMDb Summary: When two girls move to the country to be near their ailing mother, they have adventures with the wonderous forest spirits who live nearby.



5. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
  

I have wanted to see this movie since I was probably 6 years old and it was on the preview for some Disney show I watched all the time. I was a bit disappointed, unfortunately, although it's still a great movie, especially for kids. Sydnee loved it. My only problem with it was that the plot just kind of dragged in the middle and I wasn't a huge fan of Kiki as a character. Maybe it's just that Kirsten Dunst's voice is uber-annoying to me. Anyway, I'd recommend for 6+
Rated: G
IMDb Rating: 7.8/10
My Rating: 5/10
Abby's Rating: 6.5/10

IMDb Summary: A young witch, on her mandatory year of independent life, finds fitting into a new community difficult while she supports herself by running an air courier service.



6. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Oh, Nausicaa... it was just so... outdated, especially the soundtrack. Christian, Abby, and I laughed at several points because the music was just so strange. I can see the idea behind it, and it's sort of the same message as Princess Mononoke- Respect Your Mother (Earth).  The delivery was just not that great on this one, at least for me.
Ages 8+
Rated: PG
IMDb Rating: 8.1/10 (CANNOT believe it got the same as Howl and  Castle in the Sky. Not even close.)
My Rating: 3/10
Abby's Rating: 5.5/10

IMDb Summary: Warrior/pacifist Princess NausicaƤ desperately struggles to prevent two warring nations from destroying themselves and their dying planet.


All right, and that's all she wrote, folks! I'm sorry to put you through that; in hindsight it's kind of a boring topic, but at least I followed through! Anyways, back to Abby's new iPod habit and how much it bothers me: IT BOTHERS ME A LOT (oh yeah, bustin' out the caps lock). But seriously, she can't just watch movies like a regular person now, she has to sit there with her headphones in (low enough that she can still hear the movie) and watch YouTube clips and movie previews on IMDb (her new favorite hobby) the whole time. WHO does that? If you're watching a movie, watch a freaking movie! It's not as if movies aren't entertaining! This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me fear for the future of my generation. Honestly, it we can't even bring ourselves to pay attention to something that is meant to give us entertainment, what hope do we have of paying attention to anything else, ever? None! We have NO HOPE! Down with the iPod, down with Apple! Anarchy! Revolt! Rebellion! Rage! We CAN be entertained by movies, we can! Dear Parents: Please don't ever let your kids do this! It's a matter of life and death!


OKAY, on that note, have a great day! I hope you get something out of this post. 
Love, Lis

No comments: